Plenty of people wonder why you would hire an entertainer for a child's birthday party, large event or company party—you could easily organize games and activities yourself for a fraction of the cost—the good old-fashioned way.
But I ask why wouldn't you hire an entertainer?
7 Reasons to hire a kid's party entertainer:
1. They know how to capture your child's attention. Many adults struggle to get their child's attention, let alone someone else’s child and get them to do what you tell them to. Entertainers, on the other hand, know how to communicate to kids in a way that they listen—they basically speak your child's language.
2. They are cool and fun. Sorry, parents, it isn’t that you are not an amazing parent but an entertainer dressed as a beautiful fairy, a lawless pirate or a fairy tale princess has an unfair advantage over you. What child would not listen to a magical character that can make amazing balloon creations or perform magic right before their eyes?
3. They are 'Princess Whisperers.' I was at a party recently dressed as Rapunzel doing face painting for several little princesses when one of the mom's commented on how I was a 'princess whisperer’—causing little girls to listen and follow directions with what seemed little effort at all on my part.
4. They know how to PARTY! —Because that is their job and they are good at it. They do at least 100 parties a year and what is not everyday routine for you is old-hat for them.
5. The kid's will not be bored. And you will not have to entertain them.
6. You will have one less thing to do at the party. You have spent weeks planning the details of this party—deciding the theme, purchasing decorations, purchasing food for the party, getting together party favors, etc. Wouldn't you prefer to just enjoy the party you spent all that time putting together?
7. It is cheaper than taking them to Disney.
There are a lot of entertainers in the Bay area: clowns, magicians, face painters, balloon artists, fairies, superheroes, princesses.... the list goes on as to who you could hire for your child's next party or for your companies next event. How do you know if the company is reputable? Will they even show up at your event? Where do you even find someone to hire?
If you are looking for an entertainer here is a list of things you should be looking for and my thoughts on what makes a good entertainer. (Of course, I might be a little bit biased :D )
Things to ask the company or entertainer you are looking to hire:
1. Who is going to be the performer? Is the person you are talking to on the phone or is it a college student who just got out of bed or is it a trained professional or are they unsure since they contract out to other companies or individuals?
In the ideal situation, you want your entertainer to be a professional who is either the person you are talking to on the phone or someone the owner has personally trained themselves and I would be leery of the others.
2. How experienced is the performer?
If the person on the phone can't give you a definite answer call the next company. Experience can be vouched for by a phone call or, better yet, by simply looking at their website or Facebook page. Are their photos of ACTUAL parties, costumes and performers? Is the person in the photos going to be you performer? Do they have reviews? Has any of your friends or family hired that company or performer? ( A lot of my business comes from referrals and from parents who have seen me perform at parties!)
Also, think through whom you are hiring. A "real" looking character dressed head to toe in a Hello Kitty or SpongeBob outfit isn't so real in person. Kids see that the mouth does not move. And how are they going to do fun activities with kids when their hands can't even twist a balloon?
3. How much should hiring someone cost?
Higher price doesn't necessarily mean better quality and cheap doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a good deal--the biggest factor to keep in mind when hiring someone is not so much cost but quality. Individuals offering cheap hourly rates or big companies charging a lot doesn't necessarily equate to being worth it in the long run.
4. How do I find a performer?
Please don't just do a Google search and hire the first company you see with a cheesy website and no actual party photos!
Ask your friends and family whom they have hired in the past or ask if they have seen any quality performers at parties they have attended.
Look on yelp! Lots of businesses list on their site. (Their review system is not so great for small businesses though. A lack of reviews doesn't mean that the company is bad. I have several 5 star reviews from individuals who NEVER give reviews that were filtered and you can only read them if you now how to find them!)
You can read my reviews here: /reviews.html
And you can see me on Yelp here:
Look on Craigslist under Event Services.
Check out several company websites and Facebook pages.
Call the companies and ask questions.
A beautiful Princess in full princess regalia rings the doorbell. Little girls squeal and rush to the front door to greet her. Some kids stand in awe as their favorite princess arrives at the party while others usher her in by the hand. The Princess proceeds to let the Birthday Girl know how excited she is to be invited to her princess birthday party and how she brought some special magical things for them to do together.
The magic show then unfurls....
It starts with some singing as the Princess sets up the show. Then during the show kids get to enjoy asking the Princess personal questions about her life and the Magic Kingdom where all the princesses live. They also get a chance to share with her their favorite things. Your kids will not just be sitting there watching a magician perform a variety of magic tricks. Instead, they will be literally feeling the "magic", learning magic words, waving magic wands, meeting magical friends and performing real magic!
Our magic show is truly a magical experience that your kids will remember and be talking about for a long time!!!
How to make the Magic work best at your next party:
~Have a space available for the kids to sit down on the ground so that they have front row seats to see the show!
~Have a blanket for kids to sit on during the show if party is outside.
~Make sure the party is not too loud so the kids can hear the princess. If you have music at your party it is best to turn it off during the show.
~Have the kids eat before or after the show.
Lots of parents call me and ask what sort of activities does Forever Enchanted Parties provide and what do you think my child would enjoy?
At Forever Enchanted Parties ALL of our activities are an immense amount of fun but certain activities work better for certain parties depending on the parties location, size, average gender and the average age of attendees. Below is my advise on picking your activities.
Questions I might ask you:
Location: Is your party at a restaurant, park, back yard, small house or a big house? All of these factors play a big role in deciding activities.
Size: How many kids are attending? Are there adults there as well?
Average Gender: Is this an all girl or boy party or is it a girl theme with some boys present???
Average Age: What is the average age of the crowd?
Now that we have those factors in mind, here are some tips on deciding activities:
If your party needs a show...
Shows are a GREAT addition to a party because they are fun at ANY party!
Puppets or magic?
It can be tough to decide. Our magic show is great for EVERYONE and is very interactive. Our puppet show is a lot of fun but geared more for kids ages 0-5 years who will get to befriend some amazing animals, go on amazing travels and use a little magic along the way.
If your party is outside or at a park with a mix of boys and girls...
Parachute Fun, Games and/or freeze dance might be a great addition to your party. Kids always enjoy the "team work" involved in playing with a parachute. Games are a great addition because it gives kids a chance to PLAY with a magical character, who has now become their friend! And boys and girls alike love freeze dance.
If your party is full of little princesses or your kids love to dance... and your party is at a location with enough space to move around and play some tunes....
Our Fairy Dancing (for girls ages 3-6) is a blast or our Hula Dancing (for girls ages 5-9) is just the right amount of girly. In either of these activities your girls will enjoy having a ball! Quite literally!
And for boys who are pirates with lots of energy Freeze dance is widely enjoyed and can include some inspiring pirate tunes.
If your party is full of pirates...
Balloon twisting is a must! Our balloon swords provide a fun safe way for boys to go a little crazy and even have a sword fight with a real live Pirate! Arrrr!
If you are limited on space...
Balloon twisting provides all guests with something to play with at the party and our hypo-allergenic, non-toxic face painting is loved by all. These are both great additions when you are limited on space!